Don’t worry if you don’t live on Nantucket… try my favorites ways to stay healthy and ACKtive anywhere you live or vacation:)……
I am so happy to be writing a blog post about my favorite ways to stay ACKtive during these hot and humid days of summer. We all love it, especially here on the island, when the temperature rises, we can bust out our new summer wardrobe, and enjoy long days soaking up the sun on Nobadeer or Fisherman’s beach. But, the heat over the last few days is bringing me bACK to the sweaty days when I lived in Florida, when you make any excuse to stay inside with your face in front of your AC. Hot temperatures like this can make even the most ACKtive person want to trade in their afternoon jog and for a glass of Prosecco at Cru. But, there is no reason to let this heat wave beat you down, make you lazy or un-motivate you to the point that you skip your daily workout. This is a perfect time to get outside and try new activities.
Variety is KEY to any successful exercise program!!! Doing the same workout everyday is not only boring to you, but it is boring to your muscles as well! Your body likes and responds best to changing it up. Perform different movements-try skipping intervals during your next run; vary the intensity- add some sprints to your workout; or try a new fitness class.
Here are my favorites ways to stay healthy and ACKtive and beat the heat:
- Try a New Sport or Activity. The activities available to you on the island are endless. During these dog days of summer, you have a great opportunity to experience different workouts (remember “variety”). Try a yoga class at the Yoga Room, hit a bucket or two of balls at the driving range, or grab a racket, three friends and hit the tennis courts for a doubles match.
- Get a Wet Workout: The ocean is finally warming up and it’s the perfect time to take advantage of all the water sports here on ACK. One of my favorite core strengthening workouts is stand-up paddle boarding! Haven’t tried it yet? Don’t worry, give Nantucket sUrfari a call and they can get you started with a lesson and/or a rental. Also, the waves in Nantucket are great for surfers of all levels. If standing up in the water is not your thing, kayaking is a great upper body water workout that you can do with the whole family.
- Workout Around the Sun: On days like we’ve had this past week, it is important to plan your workouts during the cooler times of the day. Try setting your alarm for earlier in the morning, so you can beat the midday heat (plus you can get your exercise over with and have more time on the beach;). Out too late the night before and there is no way you are getting out of bed before noon? Wait for that 5- 6 o’clock hour, when the sun is lower, to get your workout on.
- Stay Hydrated. I mentioned the importance of keeping yourself hydrated in my last blog post, but I want to remind you all again, especially during these hot days when you are dripping in sweat just being outside. Even though clean, filtered water should be your main source of hydration, here are two healthy alternatives that will quench your thirst (see below).
- Discover your Local Park. I love training my clients at the local parks around the island. There is no limit to the workouts you can create at a park- with its open space, playground equipment and picnic tables. During these hot days, find a shady spot to do some yoga or stretching. Some of my favorite park exercises are: step ups on the picnic table bench, leap frogs across the grassy field, a few crossings on the monkey bars (is it me, or were these darn things so much easy to do when we were kids?!) and lunges in the playground sand.
- Don’t be a SlACKer. I know its hot and I know going and sitting outside at Jetties with a frosty beer in your hand sounds so much more enjoyable than a sweaty, hot workout, but don’t be fooled. Push those excuses aside, suck it up and get your workout over with….. Then go have that cocktail 🙂
- Plan your own Mini Triathlon-Tribathlon (in honor of the Nantucket and Hero triathlons this weekend). I love this idea- it involves mixing it up, challenging your body and getting a reward at the end! Create you own bike, run, swim workout by doing a 10 mile bike ride, then a 3-mile run and finishing up with a refreshing dip in the ocean!
- Take a Stroll at Sunset. Ahh…… there is nothing better than a walk on a Nantucket beach at sunset. It’s beautiful, cool, uncrowded and peaceful. Make it a true workout by increasing your distance, walking in the soft sand or adding in some lunges or squats during your walk.
Natural Electrolyte Drink
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 liter water
Combine all ingredients.
Cucumber Watermelon Cooler
- 1 cup watermelon, cut into chunks
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
Blend watermelon and cucumber. Pour over ice and garnish with fresh mint.
Enjoy your ACKtive summer everyone!