12 Superfoods You Need to Be Eating
With all of the nutritional information out there, leading us this way and that, it can be hard to know what foods are REALLY good for us. Don’t get discouraged, there are some foods that no one will argue ARE great for your health.
Here is a list of 12 SUPERFOODS that you should include in you diet, right now. These foods have disease-fighting nutrients, reduce inflammation, and provide you with energy all day long:
- Kale: I LOVE KALE! I put it in my smoothies, saute it with garlic and olive oil, bake kale chips and eat it out at any restaurant that serves it. Kale is regarded as the world’s most powerful superfood because it is low calorie, high fiber, and loaded with vitamins K, A, and C.
- Berries: Eat these to your heart’s delight! Blueberries in particular, are high in antioxidant phytonutrients that have been shown to slow degenerative brain diseases and aid in the prevention of cancer.
- Broccoli: Mom always said “Eat your broccoli!” and she was right! Broccoli is one of our most important weapons against cancer. If that isn’t enough, it also helps your cardiovascular health and supports your immune system.
- Cacao: Organic dark chocolate (with high levels of cacao), in small amounts, can help reduce blood pressure and contributes to overall heart health.
- Salmon: This tasty fish is full of omega 3’s that improve heart health and is a great source of protein.
- Avocados: Who doesn’t love avocado on a sandwich or mashed up in some guacamole? This delicious fruit is high in fiber, folate, potassium, vitamin E, and magnesium. Avocados are high in the monounsaturated fat, oleic acid which may help lower cholesterol.
- Spinach: Follow Popeye. This low calorie vegetable is high in nutrients and helps in the prevention of heart disease and some cancers.
- Garlic: This small, flavorful vegetable has be found to fight cancer and cardiovascular disease. It also has very strong anti-inflammatory properties.
- Eggs: The incredible, edible egg is finally getting the respect it deserves as a superfood. Eggs (only organic, of course) are one of my favorite foods, providing me with a protein-packed, affordable, and nutritious meal. I like them fried in olive oil, scrambled, hard-boiled, any way really. Eggs can boost your memory, make your bones stronger, and help strengthen hair, skin, and nails.
- Nuts: Omega 3-rich nuts can help decrease your risk of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. Enjoy raw, unsalted nuts including: almonds, walnuts, cashews, walnuts, pecans, and pistachios.
- Beans: Beans are a great low-fat, high fiber source of protein. They are packed with calcium, iron, potassium, and B vitamins.
- Apples: An apple a day….is rich in antioxidants and fiber and low in calories. Studies have shown that apples can decrease the risk of certain cancers and cardiovascular disease.
Red Wine– I had to include this because I love my red wine, in moderation. Red wine contains powerful, heart-healthy antioxidants and there is nothing better than a glass at the end of a long day.