Water is the most underestimated essential nutrient in regard to nutrition. The human body can survive for up to 5 weeks without protein, carbohydrates, and/or fats, and only 5 days without water. Water is critical to every function of the human body- from cell metabolism to temperature regulation. Staying hydrated does not mean drinking sodas, fruit juices and other sugary drinks, it means drinking WATER! If you are having a hard time drinking enough water, try these 10 helpful tips to stay hydrated:
- Drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water a day. If you weigh 140 lbs, you should be drinking 70 ounces of water. If you are active, drink more.
- Carry a water bottle around with you. If you make this a habit, you will find yourself consistently sipping on water throughout the day. Chose a BPA-free water bottle, like this great Camelbak Eddy water bottle.
- Make sure to drink water with each meal. This not only helps with digestion, but will help you eat slower and less food.
- Your urine should always be clear. It’s a sign that you are hydrated.
- Find drinking plain water boring? Add some sliced lemon, cucumbers, or berries to jazz it up.
- Do not keep plastic water battles in a hot car. The heat reacts with the chemicals in the plastic which releases harmful toxins that have been linked to cancer. Better yet, avoid using plastic water bottles and go earth-friendly (see #2).
- Having a food craving? Drink a glass of water, slowly. It will make you feel full and take your mind off your food cravings of the moment.
- Water keeps your skin looking good. Atlanta dermatologist Kenneth Ellner, MD says, “Dehydration makes your skin look more dry and wrinkled, which can be improved with proper hydration.”
- Water will help prevent constipation. Adequate hydration helps keep things flowing in your gastrointestinal system.
- Drink the best filtered water you can find. I am in love with the Kangen Water System! Kangen Water® has a pH level of 8.5 – 9.5, which is slightly alkaline and can help restore your dehydrated body. Check it out for yourself: https://www.enagic.com/watertheory.php.
Have a healthy day!