The 85/15 rule is based on the principle that eating healthy, nourishing foods 85% of the time allows your body to handle unhealthy or depleting foods the other 15% of the time.

It can also be described as your whole-food-to-processed-food ratio.

Understanding the difference between “nourishing” and “nutrient-depleting” foods will help you take better control of your nutrition. Nourishing foods are foods closer to their original, natural form and provide your body with more nutrients—a.k.a. whole foods. Our body recognizes whole, natural foods and knows how to digest them, how to assimilate the nutrients, and how to use them for energy, repair, and building. Nourishing foods include fruits, vegetables, grass-fed meats, poultry and eggs, wild caught fish, non-gluten whole grains, beans and legumes, nuts and seeds, healthy oils and herbs.

On the other hand, depleting foods provide NO nutritional benefits to your body and actually deplete the nutrient reserves stored in your body’s tissues, muscles, bones, and organs. Depleting foods are ones that have been altered, processed, or refined and that have had important nutrients removed, thus making them nutritionally inferior. Consuming processed and refined foods depletes health and contributes to illness.

The 85/15 rule is the goal for your eating post-cleanse, and for the rest of your life. To be sure you are following the 85/15 rule, I recommend continuing to fill out a daily meal diary for as long as you need. This way, you can keep track of the total number of nourishing and depleting foods you are consuming, as well as the total ratio for the day. It is important to remember- it’s not about being perfect, its about being consistent.

xo, jenni


Comments are closed.