Although we don’t often spend time thinking about our digestion, it is paramount to our overall health. As Hippocrates once said, “All disease begins in the gut.” An unhealthy gut contributes to a wide range of diseases from obesity, diabetes, allergies to autoimmune diseases, autism, chronic fatigue and some cancers. Sadly, over 100 million people in our country suffer from digestive problems. The disorders include bloating, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, heartburn, gas, and acid reflux to name a few. When working correctly, a healthy gut determines what nutrients are absorbed and what toxins and allergens are kept out.
There are a number of nutrition and lifestyle factors that contribute to poor digestive health. These include:
All of these can create an imbalance of intestinal bacteria, which can lead to damage of the intestinal lining. When this happens, people have not only impaired digestion, but impaired nutrient absorption as well. Damage to the cell lining creates irritation that leads to inflammation,and the immune system has to go on the defensive to try to repair that damage.
Follow these 10 tips to Heal and Restore your Gut to Optimal Health:
1. Eat a diet high in whole, nutrient-dense, unprocessed foods.
2. Make sure to include healthy fats, either through Omega-3 rich foods or supplements. Good fats help with inflammation in the gut.
3. Take pre- and probiotic supplements to help maintain and restore healthy bacteria.
4. Find a qualified, licensed clinician to treat any severe digestive or intestinal problems.
5. Take digestive enzymes to help facilitate the breakdown of food into energy and fuel.
6. Drink loads and loads of filtered water.
7. Drink alcohol in moderation and don’t smoke.
8. Limit the use of antibiotics, prescription medicines and OTC medications.
9. Reduce physical, emotional, and psychological stress in your life.
10. Sign up for the Bliss Body Plan!